Pura Vida Co. was established after a family trip in Central America where we came across these beautiful straws, which go hand-in-hand with the culture of the region of sustainability and conservation of the planet.
Our bamboo straws are unique in the market – they are from a bamboo species found in the Americas, and are far narrower that those than can be sourced from the far east. This makes them perfect as a direct alternative to plastic straws. Each straw is hand-crafted and being a completely natural product, each is unique in its appearance. Bamboo is a completely natural organic product, which can be disposed of in a home composting system.
Bamboo a True Alternative
An estimated 500 million plastic drinking straws being thrown into landfill every year. Sadly much of this plastic ends up in the oceans and is ingested by birds and fish indiscriminently . Even when the plastic is degraded, its chemical composition remains intact and the entire plastic substance remains in the environment for centuries. Moreover, 90% of seabirds have ingested some form of plastic.
- It can be grown without pesticides or chemical fertilisers
- It requires no irrigation
- It rarely needs replanting
- It grows rapidly and can be harvested in 3-5 years
- It produces 35% more oxygen that an equivalent stand of trees
- It sequesters carbon dioxide and is carbon neutral
- It is a critical element in the balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere
- It is an excellent soil erosion inhibitor
- It grows in a wide range of environments